So, to control my R2, I created an Arduino shield that hooks up to a PS2 controller. After testing my concept by hacking a normal PS2 receptor and wiring it directly to the Arduino, which leaves several extra wires exposed and requires a very delicate touch to adjust, I began building my board.
The first step was to find the exact positioning of the Arduino’s headers and to space the board’s connectors out accordingly. Once I knew how much space I had to work with, I began designing the schematic and adding the components with the proper footprints for each. Then, once I had finished the schematic, I began the board layout. I had to place the connectors first, then the receiver and terminal blocks, then the resistors and LED. After I had them placed, I created the ground plane and the 3.3V power plane and routed the board.
With the board finished, I sent it out for fabrication and, less than a month later, I had the board! I then applied the components to the board and tested it, and it works!